Tag: Takes

Bluewater Health takes another step forward after cyberattack

Bluewater Health says its current health information system is operational again.

Chief of Communications and Public Affairs Keith Marnoch shared the news with Sarnia News Today on Wednesday.

He said the health information system is working in a limited capacity for core clinical teams.

“Getting to this point really marks a milestone for us internally, because it means that many clinical units can now move away from pen and paper and get back to digital documentation and reporting,” Marnoch said.

Patient, employee and professional staff data was taken in the October breach at shared services provider, TransForm Shared Service Organization.

“Our clinical applications have been coming back online in a phased, and secured, approach, rather than us just flipping a switch and having it come back all at once. This will definitely happen over time, but this has been a deliberate strategy to ensure the highest level of security and stability for our system,” Marnoch said.

He said hospital officials are feeling good about the progress.

“I can honestly say that this has been a huge collaborative effort by all of our teams to get to this point where our health information system has become available and now somewhat operational in a limited capacity for the clinical teams,” he said.

In total, five area hospitals were impacted by the breach.

Bluewater Health cancelled thousands of appointments and later reported that the information of over 250,000 patients, including the Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) of thousands who filed WSIB claims, was compromised.

Marnoch said one of the most obvious backlogs exists in the diagnostic imaging department.

“What they’ve been doing in the last number of months is prioritizing emergency and inpatient cases,” he said. “So, we’ve had to cancel about 8,000 appointments due to the cyberattack, that said, at the same time

Here’s what happens when a for-profit company takes over your local ER | Clayton Dalton

Earlier this year, I stood outside the hospital in New Mexico where I worked as an emergency physician. I was, for the first time, picketing. The next day I would be fired, another first. At least I wasn’t the only one – all of my colleagues would also be terminated.

Why would a hospital fire an entire department of doctors?

The hospital, it turns out, had decided to outsource us.

The emergency room at the hospital, Presbyterian Santa Fe medical center, would be taken over by a company called Sound Physicians. Sound is a contract management group, or CMG. It’s a for-profit corporation, owned in part by a private equity firm.

Private equity-backed CMGs now operate a quarter of all ERs in the US. The rise of the CMG reflects growing private equity investment in healthcare generally, up more than 20-fold since 2000.

The pitch is that CMGs can bring business savvy and financial resources to a struggling clinic or department. They argue that this is exactly what American healthcare needs: seasoned investors bringing an infusion of capital and business acumen.

Last fall, a local newspaper published a story about Presbyterian’s plan. An administrator stated that Sound was brought in to “consistently provide physician coverage” so that the “community has access to care when they need it most”.

“I literally laughed when I read that,” John Wagner told me. Wagner has worked in private equity and investment banking for over 20 years. I reached out to him after he published a letter in the Santa Fe New Mexican criticizing the privatization.

Private equity investors often expect a several hundred per cent return on their investment, Wagner explained in his letter. “Where do you think those earnings come from, tip jars?” he wrote. “Nope. They’re extracted from overextended doctors,

N.L. takes bite out of denture expenses by boosting budget

A denturist works on a set of fake teeth.
The maximum payable amount per standard denture is now $900 in Newfoundland and Labrador, an increase of $150. (Bruce Tilley/CBC)

Newfoundland and Labrador’s Health Department has increased the budget and the maximum payable amount in its adult denture program.

The changes, announced Wednesday, take effect immediately, with a 20 per cent increase to the dentures budget, from $700,000 to $840,000.

In a statement, the department called it a recognition of the importance of good oral health for a person’s self-esteem and overall health.

Further increases were added to the maximum payable amount, which is now $900 instead of $750 per standard denture.

Partial dentures got an increase to $600 from $503.

The maximum annual cap increase has gone from $1,500 to $1,800. 

The provincial adult denture program was implemented in January 2012, with last change to fees happening in 2015. 

In an email to CBC News, the Newfoundland and Labrador Dental Association said the increases help maintain the sustainability of the program, not only for patients but also for dental professionals and the government.

“People’s oral health is crucial to their overall health so we are always in support of increases to access to care for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians,” says the statement.

The Health Department said there have been significant cost increases for providing dentures since, with no reciprocal increase.

Changes requested by denturists’ association

The Denturist Association of Newfoundland and Labrador requested the increase in the denture budget to allow an increase of maximum payable amount for dentures. The dental association said it supported that request from Day 1.

“There hasn’t been an increase in a number of years … so it was time that it had to be re-evaluated and the government did so,” says the statement.

Only people between 19 and 65 years old who are on

B.C. takes positive steps to protect people’s health data

British Columbians health information was “disturbingly” vulnerable, privacy commissioner Michael McEvoy said in December.

B.C.’s privacy commissioner says the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) has taken positive steps to strengthen the privacy and security of the Provincial Public Health Information System.

“Every day, hundreds of health-care workers and policymakers across B.C. access the system,” commissioner Michael McEvoy said in the report.

“It is critical not only for the protection of British Columbians’ information and privacy rights, but also for the continued delivery of essential services without disruption, that robust privacy and security controls be in place for the system,” he said.

The follow-up comes in the wake of an Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner’s December 2022 report that found the PHSA’s failure to address security and privacy vulnerabilities put British Columbians at risk.

There, the office said the system and the citizens’ information it contains are vulnerable to malicious attacks or employee abuses.

In a report released Dec. 15, 2022, McEvoy said there are many areas where the system is vulnerable.

“The system contains some of our most sensitive health information — matters relating to our mental and sexual health, infectious diseases and more,” McEvoy said. “It is imperative that the (Provincial Health Services Authority — PHSA) put in place commensurate security measures to protect British Columbians from potential harms.”

That report made seven recommendations, including that the PHSA:

  • acquire, configure, and deploy a privacy-tailored proactive audit system;
  • ensure a multi-factor authentication solution meeting provincial standards is used to log onto the system;
  • encrypt personal information within the database at rest; and,
  • create appropriate written security architecture that includes full systems design documents and operations manuals for each component of the system.

Now, the office said, the six-month follow-up shows two recommendations fully

Clothing industry put on notice as fast fashion and unwanted clothing takes environmental toll

Early in 2023, like millions of other Australians, Kate Hulett made a new year’s resolution.

Knowing it was a pledge she would struggle to keep, she put it on social media, declaring to her 8,000  followers:

“If I write this one out loud, I’ll feel [more] guilty if I break it,” she wrote.

“And seeing as I’m a grown woman, mainly fuelled by guilt, this should prove an effective technique.

“No new clothes in 2023.”

woman looking at black and white top on hanger, with blurred clothes on rail in background
Kate Hulett loves clothes but has become increasingly concerned about the impact of the fast fashion industry. (ABC News: Claire Moodie)

It might seem like a small, extremely first-world, gesture.

But for the artist, small business owner and lover of clothes,  it felt like the only useful thing to do in the face of mounting evidence of the cost to the world.

“I think it was mainly the waste that really got me,” she said.

“There were all those images in the media of the masses of mainly western clothes in landfill in poorer countries that have just been dumped.

“And then understanding that most of the people that make our clothes are women and children and they’re paid an absolute pittance in order to make a $20 T-shirt.

Liz Ricketts on the beach in Accra.
Clothing “tentacles” up to 10 metres in length have been found on a beach in Ghana, where used clothes from the UK, Europe, North America and Australia are sent.(Foreign Correspondent: Andrew Greaves)

“I think once you’ve learnt some of that stuff, you can’t unlearn it and pretend it doesn’t exist.”

Little discarded clothing recycled

According to a recent

Province takes action to stabilize northern Vancouver Island health-care services

Significant efforts are underway to stabilize and improve access to reliable health-care services, including emergency care, in Port Hardy and the Mount Waddington region.

“We are committed to improving access to health care with significant investments across northern Vancouver Island,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “Staffing shortages and challenges on the North Island have created uncertainty. The new efforts launching today will bring certainty for emergency-care services for people living in the communities of Port Hardy, on Cormorant Island, in Port McNeill and in the surrounding region.”

Emergency department services will be available from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. in Port Hardy, from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Cormorant Island, and 24 hours a day, seven days a week in Port McNeill. Regular hours will be restored as soon as possible. In the interim, these hours will allow patients and families to know where and when emergency services are available.

“We have heard the community loud and clear. People need to know when services are available and when they are not,” said Kathy MacNeil, president and CEO, Island Health. “To prevent unexpected closures, Island Health is temporarily suspending overnight emergency department services in Port Hardy and on Cormorant Island while our new measures come into place. We will resume regular hours as soon as possible, and work to immediately accelerate efforts to expand services and strengthen staffing throughout the region.”

Stabilizing and supporting staffing throughout northern Vancouver Island is key to health-care access. This includes enhancing staff recruitment and retention incentives for eligible staff with travel-wage increases, upgraded accommodations for travelling staff, and more protection-service officers to improve safety and site support. 

Island Health will establish daily shuttle services between Port Hardy and Port McNeill hospitals, as well as daily shuttles to Campbell River and the Comox Valley

Shiba Inu Takes On Fashion Industry As Designer Debuts SHIB-Inspired Clothing Line

Shiba Inu is a meme coin that has been able to make its way out of the industry and into the mainstream. It has already penetrated the payments sector with multiple crypto payment processors already accepting SHIB, as well as the food industry with the Welly’s SHIB-themed fast food restaurant. This time around, the meme coin is making its way into the fashion industry.

Shiba Inu Themed Clothing Collection

An Italian fashion designer named John Richmond has taken to Twitter to reveal his latest collection. In the tweet, Richmond shows a street-style design that had the word Shiba written on the shirt as well as the pants. The varsity jacket had the designer’s initials J.R. written on them. Richmond said that the picture was a sneak peek of the collection. 

The designer had also previously posted a picture of a hoodie with the hashtags #Shibafashion among a flurry of other tags. Richmond is also a prominent designer with his clothing worn by the likes of legendary rapper Snoop Dogg.

Interestingly, the account has a cartoonized Shiba Inu dog breed as its profile picture but it is not the official logo of Shiba Inu. A user also pointed out the fact that the beloved logo was also missing from Richmond’s clothing design.

Shiba Inu and John Richmond announced their partnership back in early 2022 leading the designer to showcase his SHIB clothing at fashion events such as the Milan Fashion Week. However, the designer is yet to reveal a launch date for the SHIB-themed clothing collection and when it will available to the public.

Shiba Inu (SHIB) price chart from TradingView.com

SHIB trending above 
Back To Top