Visit the Newsroom for the latest updates on Services Levels.
Check the Q&A for more information in Question/Answer format.
With evacuations and impacts from wildfires in the NWT access to care and services will be a bit different than normal. See below for the best current information on what services and supports the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has put in place.
If you need general information about supports other than health and social services the GNWT has a comprehensive overview at www.gov.nt.ca/public-safety. You can also call NWT 811 for general information on evacuation supports. In the NWT dial 811, outside the NWT dial 1-844-259-1793. For health information, call 811 in the receiving Province of Evacuation.
- Primary care clinics in Calgary are prepared to care for the primary care needs of evacuees. If you are an evacuee in Calgary, you can use Alberta’s 811 which can help to connect you to a primary care clinic.
- Patients being discharged from Calgary-area hospitals who need to be connected to a primary care practitioner will be connected with a local provider through the discharge-planning process.
Your regular pharmacy may be able to transfer your prescription from your home location to your current evacuation location, so please try this first. If you are an Alberta Blue Cross member, you can find information about services related to prescriptions here.
The following pharmacies have provided ways to follow them for updates on their status.
- Wally’s Drugs, Fort Smith
- Rings Pharmacy, Hay River
- Co-op Pharmacy, Yellowknife
- Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy, Yellowknife
- Wal-Mart Pharmacy, Yellowknife
- Call the regular number 1-833-768-1146 and a representative will be available.
- Sutherlands Drugs, Yellowknife
- Shoppers Drug Mart, Yellowknife
- Pharmacy is open Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm, all other in-store services are closed. To talk to a Pharmacy team member, please call 867-873-4055 and press 3, 3.
- For information about your prescriptions or other pharmacy needs, please contact another Shoppers Drug Mart location or call your pharmacy of choice.
- Pharmacists in ALBERTA have prescriptive authority and they can help you to the best of their professional abilities.
- Contact [email protected] for more details
If you are unable to reach your pharmacy or are having trouble coordinating transfer of your prescription, please follow the process below:
If you are not able to make an online request follow the process below:
If you need a prescription refill, please call 867-447-0169 (or send a text message) and leave the following details. If you are leaving a voice message please speak slowly and clearly and spell your names out in your message
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Name of prescription
- Name and phone number of the pharmacy where you will pick up the prescription
Messages are monitored Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. It may take more than 48 hours for us to assist you with your request. The fastest route is to reach out directly to your home pharmacy at your current location, click HERE for instructions.
If you need the prescription urgently, please go to a walk-in clinic at your current location. If you need general medical advice, you can call 811 in the receiving Province of Evacuation. If you have questions specific to Yellowknife Evacuation status or information, please dial 1-844-259-1743.
If you require any medical services other than a prescription refill, please access services at your current location.
If you are an Alberta or Northwest Territories (NWT) patient who is expected for assessment or treatment for a cancer diagnosis in an evacuated area, please call the Cancer Centre Transition Team toll-free at 1-888-432-8865. The Team will work with you to ensure your assessment or treatment remains as uninterrupted as possible.
BC Family Support Line
BC has set up a Family Support Line at 1-844-824-2219 (toll-free) and they will help provide info for families of in-patients from Stanton Territorial Hospital who were moved to BC. This number is operational from 7 am to 7pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday, all times are Pacific time (1 hour behind Alberta/NWT).
This toll-free number works in Alberta and British Columbia; it may not work in the territories or other provinces. If you are having trouble dialling toll-free, please dial 604-875-4953.
Alberta – AHS Family Reunification Line
AHS has set up a reunification number for anyone with a loved one currently being cared for in a bedded facility in Alberta. Call 811 – available 24/7 or the Health Link Emerging Events line at 1-844-944-3434 – dedicated for evacuees and available from 8 am to 11:30 pm.
The latest information from Alberta Health Services for pregnant individuals. Please review this important information.
Information for NWT Evacuees – Manitoba-based Maternity Care Resources
- If you are 37 weeks or over, please follow the plan already provided to you.
- If you are under 37 weeks, see below for information and contacts for prenatal care in Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer. Please note that prenatal visits are usually every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, then weekly until delivery.
- Information will be provided next week by NTHSSA on accessing your medical records
- If you have an emergency, please go to your nearest hospital. For other non-emergent questions about health or services, please call 811 for assistance in the receiving Province of Evacuation.
- Patients under 37 weeks arriving in independently can connect with Teresa Thurber at 403-943-3933 and she will triage to the appropriate provider groups
- Patients under 37 weeks arriving in Red Deer independently: Please have them to come to the Red Deer Regional Hospital Center and come to the L&D unit (Unit 27) on the second floor and we will arrange prenatal care for them. Unit 27 phone number is 403-343-4427
The Edmonton Zone has four Adult acute care facilities that provide care to pregnant persons and their families, including Neonatal care.
AHS has temporarily arranged a clinic for those pregnant patients who require prenatal care. The clinic is located onsite at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women, Royal Alexandra Hospital campus. This clinic will provide care coordination and help you connect with a family physician, registered midwife, or obstetrician for ongoing needs. If you do not have an accepting physician in the Edmonton Zone currently prearranged and need ongoing prenatal care, we would ask you to call 780-735-6635 to schedule a prenatal visit.
Once you have delivered your newborn, our Healthy Beginnings Public Health team will be in touch with you within 24 hours of discharge from the hospital.
NWT Prenatal Clinic (appointment required)
Lois Hole Hospital for Women, at Royal Alexandra Hospital
Address: Clinic E, 0 Level, Robbin’s Pavilion,
10245 111 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5G 0B6
Phone: Clinic Phone Number: 780-735-6635
Lois Hole Hospital for Women, at Royal Alexandra Hospital
Address: 10245 111 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5G 0B6
Phone: Switchboard: 780-735-4111
Website: Lois Hole Hospital for Women | Alberta Health Services
Sturgeon Community Hospital
Address: 201 Boudreau Road, St. Albert, Alberta, T8N 6C4
Phone: Switchboard: 780-418-8200
Website: Sturgeon Community Hospital | Alberta Health Services
Misericordia Community Hospital
Address: 16940 87 Ave NW, Edmonton AB T5R 4H5
Phone: Switch Board: 780-735-2000
Website: Misericordia Community Hospital – Covenant Health
Grey Nuns Community Hospital
Address: 1100 Youville Drive West (3015 62 Street NW), Edmonton AB T6L 5X8 Phone: Switch Board: 780-735-7000
Website: Grey Nuns Community Hospital – Covenant Health
- Residents of Fort Smith who have evacuated and who are not in Yellowknife can access on-call support at 867-621-1122.
- Residents of Hay River who have evacuated and who are not in Yellowknife can access on-call support at 867- 875-7012.
- For anyone who cannot reach their local on-call support and who is in need of Child and Family Services supports please contact the Yellowknife Child and Family Services 24 hour Intake line at 867-445-1092.