When a woman is expecting a baby, her nutrition is crucial for helping the baby to grow and develop appropriately. Because many women experience problems with eating the right foods for sound nutrition, it is recommended women begin taking mom vitamins as soon as they learn they are pregnant and even a few weeks after they deliver their baby. Understanding the importance of taking these vitamins will help moms-to-be to be able to be vigilant in making sure they are getting the vitamins they need.
Why Are Prenatal Vitamins Needed?
There are often nutritional gaps in a woman’s diet that can put her and her baby at risk during pregnancy. Bridging the nutritional gaps with prenatal vitamins is essential for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. There are many benefits to taking prenatal vitamins during pregnancy and the following are some of the most important.
- One of the biggest benefits of taking prenatal vitamins is the reduction of the baby developing neural tube defects. Consuming the right amount of folic acid early in pregnancy can help to reduce neural tube defects like cleft spine.
- Taking prenatal vitamins, especially in the beginning stages of pregnancy, can sometimes help mothers to prevent the development of preeclampsia which can cause the mother’s blood pressure to go higher and higher, sometimes resulting in the need for a C-section delivery.
- Women sometimes develop anemia during pregnancy. Taking prenatal vitamins helps to reduce the risk of anemia which can cause a lack of hemoglobin for both the baby and the mother.
- When a woman takes a prenatal vitamin throughout pregnancy, her baby will receive the right level of calcium to ensure strong bone and teeth development, without leaching calcium from the mother.
- Prenatal vitamins also help to reduce the risk of miscarriage, low birth weight, and premature delivery. These vitamins need to be taken daily, throughout the pregnancy for the best results.
Learn More Today
If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, taking a prenatal vitamin is important. With these vitamins, women can rest assured their health and the health of their baby will be properly protected from conception to birth.