Tag: contract

N.S. health administrative workers readying to strike 3 years after contract expired – Halifax

Thousands of health care administrative workers in Nova Scotia are eyeing a strike three years after their contract expired.

The unions representing them say wages remain the major sticking point, but they’re open to returning to the bargaining table. The president of the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union (NSGEU) says these staff members deserve more.

“The premier has been focusing on health care,” says Sandra Mullen. “Certainly, nurses, doctors, all of those contracts have been signed with promises to keep those wages where they need to be within Atlantic Canada.”


Sandra Mullen is the President of the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union (NSGEU).


Skye Bryden-Blom/Global News

She says the wages of admin staff haven’t kept pace with inflation as some make as low as $18 per hour and are now taking on second jobs to help make ends meet.

Story continues below advertisement

The NSGEU represents nearly 3,800 of the more than 5,000 administration workers in Nova Scotia’s hospitals and community care settings. The remainder are covered by CUPE and Unifor.

“They keep that operation [health care] running. They schedule appointments, they enter information that the doctors need, they do a multitude of things,” says Mullen.

The Essential Health and Community Services Act requires employers and unions to establish an essential services agreement before a strike or lockout can happen.

“I won’t allow Nova Scotians to go without access to essential services,” says Premier Tim Houston. “Particularly, I will not allow Nova Scotians to go without access to health care because of a labour disruption. It will not happen.”


Click to play video: 'Frontline worker unions happy to see Nova Scotia budget focus on health-care'


Frontline worker unions happy to see Nova Scotia budget focus on health-care


Nurses organize to champion contract demands, raise awareness over ‘threats’ to public health care

Nurses are expected to gather across Ontario for a “community day of action” to champion their contract demands and raise awareness over what they say are threats to Ontario’s publicly-funded hospital and health care system.

The Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) has been calling for an improved contract for some 60,000 members in the hospital sector since talks started earlier this year. In March, talks between the union and the Ontario Hospital Association ended without an agreement, sending the parties to arbitration expected to start sometime early next month.

“Simply put, our patients need and deserve better care,” ONA interim provincial president Bernie Robinson, who is also a registered nurse, said in a news release.

“The failure to properly invest in our public hospital system is hurting those who rely on quality care.”

ONA represents 68,000 registered nurses and 18,000 nursing student affiliates. It says the community events planned for Sunday are also aimed at educating the public on how the Doug Ford government’s policy on hospital and health care is hurting Ontarians — particularly taking aim at the province’s recent move to start expanding care, such as some surgeries and procedures, in private and for-profit clinics.

“As front-line nurses and health-care professionals, we’re informing people of the threats to their health care and making it easy for them to take steps to bring back better care for all,” said Robinson.

CBC Toronto has reached out to the province and the Ontario Hospital Association, which represents 140 public hospitals, for comment. Back in March, when nurses organized a separate demonstration, Ford commented on the province’s relationship with nurses.

“We love our nurses. We know the dedication. They go in day in and day out,” Ford said when criticized by the official opposition on its treatment of nurses.

“We’re going to continue

Contract Awarded to Expand and Make improvements to Emergency Office at Health and fitness Sciences Centre

A deal valued at $40.5 million has been awarded to Marco Group to improve and broaden the unexpected emergency department at the Wellness Sciences Centre in St. John’s. The new infrastructure will maximize access to health and fitness care and guarantee that acceptable infrastructure is in place to fulfill long run health care desires.

The Honourable Elvis Loveless, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, and the Honourable Tom Osborne, Minister of Health and Community Solutions, announced currently that the construction job will include the redevelopment of 2,230 square metres of the recent place, as nicely as the design of a new 2,690 square metre extension.

The new emergency department will provide patients at the Wellbeing Sciences Centre and the new adult mental overall health and addictions hospital, and will contain a psychiatric assessment device, large acuity-trauma device, care initiation spot, ambulance parking garage, medical imaging suite, administration region and a new entrance and registration location.

The structure of the new emergency division was facilitated by major industry specialists, and has been sized to meet predicted future affected individual need and acuity degrees in line with demographic projections. Its structure is primarily based on market tendencies and finest practices made to assist efficient, effective, and lean workflows in the delivery of affected individual care.

Design of the new emergency office is expected to be finished in 2026. Its structure can be viewed on-line at: https://youtu.be/idJTHX95wAM

The expansion is in addition to the building of the new adult psychological health and addictions clinic, currently less than development at the web site. A parking garage for personnel with areas for 1,000 autos opened at the Health Sciences Centre campus in November 2021.

Info on tenders issued and awarded by the section and other community bodies is accessible by browsing www.merx.com/govnl.

Estimates
“New infrastructure

New patient medical information system coming to N.S. in $365M contract – Halifax

The Nova Scotia government says new technology to make accessing medical information easier for health care professionals is coming in 2025.

The One Person One Record system, set to launch in two years, will replace and connect more than 80 systems that staff currently use to record and access patient information.

According to the province, health-care professionals in Nova Scotia currently have to log into at least five systems to get a patient’s full health information — many of which are outdated and slow.

Read more:

 N.S. premier says he’s ‘open to anything’ when it comes to improving health care

Read next:

Medicago to cease operations in Quebec, scuttling COVID-19 vaccine production plans

Amanda Tinning, a nurse practitioner for the Home Transitional Heart Failure Clinic, said in a release this is a “solution that is needed to change how our healthcare system communicates patient information between health professionals and services.”

Story continues below advertisement

Tanning said the One Person One Record system will allow health workers like her to communicate information more effectively.

“As a nurse practitioner, I need access to patient information and to communicate information in minutes, not days.”


Click to play video: 'Medical school ‘finally’ coming to Cape Breton by fall 2025: premier'


Medical school ‘finally’ coming to Cape Breton by fall 2025: premier


The new system will be provided by integrated health information technology supplier Oracle Cerner. Nova Scotia’s 10-year contract with the company comes at a hefty price — $365 million.

The provincial government said Wednesday this move will advance its plan to improve the struggling health-care system in Nova Scotia.

Back To Top