‘Bad and Crazy’ is a Korean drama TV series. Season 1 was released in 2021; and it is an iQIYI Original that first aired from December 17, 2021 through January 28, 2022. Netflix USA started streaming the series on November 28, 2022. Clearly, it was well received by the viewers because as late as November 2022, people were still wondering if there would be a Season 2. Loyal viewers would love to see the cast team up again to continue fighting corruption and crime.
Who are the cast members that fans love so much?
- Lee Dong-Wook plays Ryu Sool-Yeol. He’s “The Bad”. Although he’s not really a bad guy. He just wants career advancement in the law enforcement agency he works for and figures the best way to get a promotion is to overlook or cover up crimes that have been committed. All he has to do is neatly wrap things up, close the cases, and file them away. This way, he gets promoted, collects a steady paycheck, and does not upset the “higher-ups” in the police department or in the government who could make his life miserable or even kill him to get him out of their way! He’s not bad. He’s just realistic. I mean … he’s no HERO! Or is he??
- Wi Ha Joon plays “K.” He’s “The Crazy”. When viewers are first introduced to this character, they might think that he’s possibly a ghost who decided to occupy Ryu Sool-Yeol’s body in order to make him do the right thing. But as time goes on, “K” is revealed as Ryu Sool-Yeol’s alter ego; a justice-seeking HERO! Whereas Ryu Sool-Yeol would get down on his knees and grovel at the feet of a corrupt politician which he knows committed murder and agrees not to expose his wrongdoing. “K” would publicly kick that politician in the face, slap him around, and call him a murderer out loud in front of several witnesses who just can’t believe what they’re seeing. I mean … is he CRAZY??!!! “K” may act crazy, but “K” says … he’s a HERO!!
So? Does Ryu Sool-Yeol have a split personality? Yes! Yes he does. But what happened to him to cause this mental health condition? Not saying. No spoilers.
But I will say that this is why viewers should be cautioned not to construe the script as professional medical advice. Multiple personality disorder, also referred to as dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a real disorder, and it is treatable, but it is not so easily treated. If you are familiar with the movies “The Three faces of Eve” (1957) and “Sybil” (1976), then you know they were based on true stories of real patients who had multiple personality disorder. They were ultimately cured, but it took years! This K-drama series is only 12 episodes, so our main character has to be cured quickly.
The writers took a lot of liberties with the script. The main character had to deal with numerous mental health issues:
- multiple personalities,
- trying to separate false memories from true memories,
- the long-term traumatic effects of being subjected to violent abuse as a child,
- caring for an elderly parent with dementia, and
- a “What If?”
What If the psychological or psychiatric counselor who is treating you for your mental illness is also a NUT JOB?!! Imagine if the doctor that Eve and Sybil had gone to for help had just as many mental health illnesses as they had! Imagine also if that doctor was wicked, cruel, and manipulative and persuaded patients to commit all sorts of criminal acts.
Will there be a Bad and Crazy Season 2?
After wrapping up Season 1, the cast members moved on. In other words, they got other acting roles. So for right now, they can not make any commitments. Fans can only HOPE!